GAA Continental Youth Championships (CYC) Boston 2018
St Brendan’s have been formally invited for their U16 and U18 teams (ages at the time of the competition in 2018 and are 13-a-side) to take part in the CYC competition.
The CYC is a Gaelic Games Tournament that takes place on an annual basis in the United States and is the biggest tournament of Gaelic Sports outside of Ireland. As St Brendan's GAA is celebrating its 60th year in 2018, it would be a great way to honour this anniversary.
Each year up to 2,500 children aged U6 to U18 participate in the Tournament with Hundreds of Games organised over the course of the 4-day tournament.
The dates have now been confirmed, and the tournament will run from Wednesday 1 August to Sunday 5 August 2018.
It is hoped that we will travel from Birmingham via Shannon to Boston and take part in the tournament, and then travel to New York for two days before flying back from New York.
This trip will not be cheap, but it certainly will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Currently, prices would come in at approximately £1,200 per person including accommodation.
We would like to take the two teams - U16 and U18 as of 2018 - and as you can appreciate, this is a massive undertaking. It will only be possible if we get enough to field a team or teams. An Early financial commitment will be required and is essential.
- A separate Bank account will be set up so that direct debits can be set up for monthly payments to be made
- The trip will be funded and organised by Parents of St Brendan's GAA club
- All children traveling must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- All children and adults traveling must have comprehensive insurance covering travel and medical insurance
- All coaches must have attended the safeguarding course, foundation coaching course and have current DBS checks in line with provincial guidelines
- Traveling parents and children will be using and paying for hotel accommodation for the duration of the visit
A committee will be formally set up to Organise the event and will hold regular quarterly meetings, anyone is welcome to attend these meetings and the minutes of these meetings will be made available as a public record.
Tara Tolan Adrian McGee RIP Paul Smith Anna McAleer Sean McAndrew Paul Monaghan